What Is A Smart Grid?
The term smart grid and smart transformer are becoming increasingly popular as businesses continually invest in new systems to manage their energy use, from smart meters to smart controls. As the workplace becomes increasingly connected the requirement to derive intelligence that can lead to measurable improvements and savings on electricity bills, and not just gather big data, grows.
Maximising visibility with a connected online remote monitoring platform
As a manufacturer of smart energy technologies, we identified the requirement for voltage optimisation within an organisations local power grid and developed an online remote energy monitoring platform to assist customers to achieve energy and cost savings.
The online remote monitoring capabilities for local power grids that Powerstar have developed in-house keeps customers at the heart of every project by enabling the implementation of a fully integrated smart grid solution which can be achieved by combining multiple smart energy technologies into a single, secure remote monitoring platform.
Developed with Industry 4.0 in mind, which marks the next era of industrial revolution, the platform provides the intelligence required to make proactive decisions about energy use based on grid information, conditional performance data of assets, and energy efficiency reports, delivering 24/7 visibility and insights into:
- Trends – this provides real time insights for a number of aspects, from the site’s voltage profile to harmonics. Additionally, the time frame can be adjusted, and the data can be downloaded to show trends over any period of time for ongoing performance visibility.
- Meters – this enables a view of information including temperature of a transformer’s cores, current, load voltage, power factor, and total harmonic distortion. From this, potential issues with the voltage profile can be easily detected.
- Alarms – a summary of any alarms triggered by the system, including software updates, are recorded and displayed. Both the customer and Powerstar can be automatically alerted when a necessary alarm is triggered to allow for fast response time to ensure optimal performance.
- Faults – displayed as a dashboard of lights, this webpage displays any faults the system may experience, which can be diagnosed by Powerstar’s 24-hour remote support team and remedied as quickly as possible.
- Savings – the platform showcases the relevant cumulative savings that the smart energy solution has achieved such as kW’s, kWh’s, and CO2 emissions. This enables customers to continually asses the ROI of the system and ensure it is achieving the expected results.
Comprehensive smart grid energy insights for added value
Through such information, available constantly through the online remote monitoring platform, businesses can:
- Detect issues enabling preventative maintenance to be deployed where necessary, which is essential for critical assets such as distribution transformers
- Pinpoint where further efficiencies can be achieved
- Identify trends for a thorough understanding of how assets perform over time
- Benefit from peace of mind with a 24/7 dedicated remote support team
- Make informed decisions based on historical and real-time data
- Utilise a single platform across one or multiple integrated smart energy technologies, including third-party assets, for a full site perspective
A Full Off-grid Energy Optimisation System (EOS)
Powerstar’s Energy Optimisation System (EOS), developed inhouse, enables an intelligent and automatic prioritisation of activities to optimise output for the whole site and its installed assets. Achieved utilising neural network-based AI, which analyses data including load prediction and (where applicable) weather forecasting based on historic data, this enables businesses to:
- Optimise energy use through accurate load planning for greater efficiencies
- Maximise onsite generation to reduce reliance from the grid and increase flexibility
- Enhance power resilience with full Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) capabilities to protect against power failures
- Access real-time information for ongoing insights and to identify further optimisations
Maximising Smart Transformer Technologies
Depending on the characteristics of the technology the remote monitoring platform is integrated with, different aspects can be monitored and measured to give insights directly related to the design of the product.
When connected to a smart distribution transformer like Powerstar SO-LO, remote monitoring provides detailed information on: oil analysis, volts on each phase, phase to phase metrics, core temperature, total kVA and kWh, and even GPS location of the asset for larger sites.
This gives the customer vital condition, operation, and safety information that can reduce the risk of failure due to problems with the HV infrastructure, allowing for potential issues to be detected before they become a problem.
Voltage Optimisation & Energy Monitoring
When connected to voltage optimisation technology like Powerstar MAX, remote energy monitoring provides insights into: the voltage profile, the savings being achieved and power quality issues including harmonics and power factor to enable further optimisations to be identified and implemented.
This analysis ultimately aids decisions on energy use and maintenance activities so customers can maintain a proactive approach to their energy profiled as part of a wider sustainability plan.
Watch a walk-through video of the Powerstar remote energy monitoring platform when integrated with Powerstar MAX by clicking here.
Behind-the-Meter Energy Storage
When connected to energy storage solutions such as Powerstar VIRTUE, remote monitoring allows for comprehensive reporting and analysis including performance conditions such as state of charge, battery cell temperature and status, as well as site data such as generation profiles and operating profile.
This transparency of performance is vital to the optimal operation of the system and provides insights into how energy can be better utilised on site to generate additional consumption and cost savings.
Find out more today
To find out more about Powerstar, our technologies, or how to implement a full smart grid solution for your business contact us using the button below. Alternatively, call and speak to an energy expert now on 0333 230 1327, or email us at email@example.com.